Teaching at QUB? Know Your Rights
As of June 2018, new policy on teaching and teaching-related duties applies across the University. The below will apply to most TAs and PGTAs (if you have an issue, refer to the full guidance document or ask us: email@example.com).
- You should have your contract before you start working.
- All expectations and duties should be made explicit at point of contracting.
- Your hours and time commitment should be set out as far in advance as is practicable.
- You should not be asked to undertake duties outside of your contract.
- You should have access to printing facilities and locker space, hot-desking facilities where possible, and access to a regular space for office hours.
- You should be told in advance about the regular scheduling of payments (including marking).
- All work you do, whether preparation, marking, delivery etc., is all accounted for explicitly and on an hourly basis. The pay rates are £17.26 per hour AC2/Band B, £14.47 per hour AC1/BandA.
- The figures below are a guideline based on the disaggregated pay rates:
- Lectures (1 hour) = £69.04 (repeat in same week = £25.89)
- Seminars, Tutorial or Oral classes (1 hour) = £51.78
- (1st repeat = £25.89, further repeats = £17.26)
- Lab supervision and demonstrating = £21.71 or £28.94 per hour (dependent on level of preparation).
- Field Trip Assistance = £14.47 per hour inclusive of travel time
- Office hours = £7.24 per seminar group per week
The full policy guidance document is available at the QUB Human Resources web page or via our website – www.ucuqub.org